Friday, May 18, 2012

ECEA Delaware Enduro


Photo by Russ Brown


Race Report: ECEA Enduro Series Round 5: Delaware Enduro
Rider: Zack Huberty
Bike: MotoFIT KTM 200 XC
Result: A-200 2nd

Report:
            Coming off a 15th overall finish the weekend before, I was feeling more confident for the Delaware Enduro which featured an all start-control format.  The terrain fit my style of riding better and featured a lot of single track, grass track, and loamy woods.  In previous years, I have never been able to put in a solid ride at Delaware, mostly due to my lack of fitness for the long sections.  This year I came in stronger and more conditioned as I have been training hard.  I was a little worried about the long 12 mile section during the day but it gave me no trouble.  Coming into the first gas of the day, I was still tied for first place which I have never been able to do at the races.  I was riding flawlessly, smooth, and calm.  A ¼ mile before the first gas, a large root snagged my brake lever and bent it back to my foot peg.  This was unfortunate as I could barely put my foot on the foot peg as it was in the way.  At the gas, I straightened out the pedal and fueled up. 
            For the rest of the day, I rode solid and followed a 250A rider on my row.  I made 3 mistakes the rest of the day which lost me time.  After the 4th test, I noticed that the wet spot in my skid plate wasn’t mud, but oil leaking out of my shift shaft.  This worried me throughout the rest of the day as it kept pooling up in my skid plate, but Dean Kulp had some oil that I added after each test.  I finished the day strong in the last section and passed the 250A rider on my row as I was tired of following him.  At the end of the day, I finished 2nd in my class and 30th overall.  I finished 2 points behind first which is the closest I have come all year to winning.  I am looking forward to the upcoming enduro this weekend at the Clock Run enduro where we will hammer sand whoops all day!
I would like to thank the support of my family and friends, especially my dad for his race support, as well as my sponsors which are Johnny Limp at Torc1Racing, Drew Smith at WER Suspension, Mike at MotoFIT, PowerSeal USA, FMF, Jerod Stoner at JS Designs for the jersey lettering, EKS Brand Goggles, P3, All Balls Racing, Sixsixone, Mika Metals, N-Style, Vertex Pistons, Fly Racing, DT-1 Filters, Motorex, Hinson Clutch Components, Acerbis, and Clockwork KTM. Also, thanks to the Kulp family for all of their help at the races.

A-200 Class Results
1) Timothy Mettinger (KTM) 31-1199
2) Zack Huberty (MotoFIT KTM) 33-1297
3) Ron Decaro (KTM) 41-1540
4) Angelo Rispoli (KTM) 41-1553
5) Brian Donovan 54-1938

For more information:
Check WER Suspension out on Facebook “Works Enduro Rider (WER)”
Check MotoFIT Motorsports out on Facebook “MotoFIT”
Check Zack Huberty out on Facebook “Zack Huberty”
Check Zack Huberty’s Blog http://zackhuberty323racing.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment